Friday, August 14, 2009

Feedback on Photo and Document Preservation and Sharing Topics Most Welcomed

This blog and its related website, LocalArchiver.com, have now been up and running for about three months. In addition to starting this blog in June, articles have been added to the LocalArchiver.com website and additional features such as print friendly pages and the ability to email page links to others are now available.

I am receiving some welcomed feedback on the usefulness of the site. This feedback is much appreciated, as it is the primary way of knowing whether others are finding the website content useful. This feedback also lets me know that the site is beginning to meet its primary goal of helping families and community historical societies save time and money in their efforts to organize, preserve, and share photos and documents in their image collections.

Feedback to date has been positive. Some kind excerpts from emails include:

"Great job on developing a user friendly and informative web
site."

"...Your site is fabulous! I just checked out your blog, too. Very nice. Extremely informative, too.... I have fallen heir to a great deal of very old photographs and letters. You're helping me preserve things as they ought to be. I'm forever grateful for that. "

"I don't know how I stumbled on your site but thankfully I did! ......I still have a long way to go but I have a much clearer vision now and feel the weight has lifted from my shoulders. A HUGE thank you! Your site, resources and links are wonderful...."


Feedback such as this has helped me to feel that I am on the right track and that some visitors are finding the content at LocalArchiver.com useful.

I ask that visitors also let me know what they feel is missing, inaccurate, or unclear. Many of the topics in the website are subject to ongoing debate (best scanning resolutions, best number of pixels for quality print resolution, etc., etc.). The LocalArchiver.com offers what it considers to be the best information available, consolidated and presented in a way to be useful to a non-professional.

Clearly, the "rightness" of a given solution is somewhat dependent on circumstances. The "correct" image capture resolution and digital file format selection will likely be different for a family vacation photo and a professional landscape photo.

Likewise, a large urban museum with a full time professional staff will likely catalog collection images differently than a community historical society. Please keep providing feedback, both positive and constructive, so that we can jointly make LocalArchiver.com as useful as possible, and to represent the varied views of visitors to this blog and to LocalArchiver.com.

No comments: